Review the current open positions below, then send in your application online.
Are you looking for a young, growing company in the field of Ecological Restoration? Here at Bluestem, individuals learn, grow, and perform with a purpose. For Bluestem, strong partnerships and relationships are the key to making big waves in the world of restoration and conservation. Come visit us and let us show you that we not only talk the talk but walk the walk.
Bluestem Ecological Services is seeking qualified candidates to work in the growing field of ecological restoration. Preferred candidates will have an interest in ecology, botany, land management, and environmental sciences.
Bluestem restores native ecosystems and manages naturalized landscapes throughout Chicagoland and Southeastern Wisconsin. Our Company works in various settings, including prairies, woodlands, wetlands, and human landscapes. Learn new diverse skills in an evolving field, work outdoors, protect native landscapes, and build a sustainable future.
Technicians are responsible for performing a variety of work including, but not limited to, invasive species control, brush/tree clearing, planting, seed collection, erosion control, grading, equipment operation, general yard/equipment cleaning, and prescribed burns. Bluestem provides on-the-job training, certification, and continued education for employees.
- Starting Pay at $17-18+/HR Depending on Experience.
- 12 PTO Days + 5 Paid Sick Days after 1 year of employment.
- 401(k) with 4% employer match after 1 year of employment.
- Health/Vision/Dental/Life Insurance offered after 90 days of employment.
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account.
- Paid training, certifications, and educational opportunities. Examples include Morton Arboretum classes, Chicago Wilderness Burn Training / S130 S190, Illinois Commercial Pesticide Operators License, Field Days/Educational sessions with local conservation organizations, and more!
- Uniforms and PPE provided.
- Job Travel is 100% paid and provided by Bluestem. Direct reporting arrangements are allowed on a case-by-case basis.
- Ability to work within a team setting.
- Attention to detail and ability to learn plant ID.
- Ability to follow directions from managers, supervisors, and crew leaders.
- Ability and eagerness to learn new land management information and techniques, such as how to operate pieces of equipment or how to target certain plant species.
- Must be able to follow safety protocols on all job sites. This includes the proper use of equipment, chemicals, PPE, etc.
- Writing, reading, and basic mathematic skills such as calculating area, volume, distance, etc.
No Experience Necessary, Bluestem Will Train You.
- Associate or bachelor’s in an environmental-related field.
- Critical thinking skills and ability to work well in a hardworking adaptive environment.
- Strong desire to learn and grow within the Green Industry.
- Solid understanding of basic ecological restoration techniques.
- Coursework in an environmental-related field.
- Experience doing restoration work as a volunteer.
- Basic Midwest Plant ID knowledge.
- Applicator/Operator Illinois Pesticide License.
- S130/190 or Chicago Wilderness Burn Training and/or Burn Experience.
- Equipment knowledge and prior experience working outdoors in some form of land management.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Knowledge of how to use a computer and smartphone.
- Ability to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions (this includes rain, wind, snow, sleet, hot, cold, humid, and dry environmental conditions).
- Ability to lift 40lbs on a continual basis.
- Ability to bend and stoop on a continual basis.
- Ability to safely work with and near EPA-approved herbicides.
- Ability to work around stinging insects and hazardous plants such as bees, poison ivy, wild parsnip, and other environmental hazards.
- Ability to work in wetland habitats that may require hip and chest waders to navigate.
- Ability to walk long distances.
- Ability to carry gear/equipment/backpacks for prolonged periods.
- Start time is 7:00 A.M and occasionally 6:00 A.M when necessary.
- An average day is 8-10 hours. Occasional 12-hour days are sometimes necessary.
- Occasional weekend work (typically 1-2 weekends per month during peak seasons and burn operations).
Deberes y responsabilidades:
Responsibilidades pueden incluir la instalación de plantas en humedales, la instalación de árboles, la eliminación de árboles con motosierra, y la instalación de piedras natural/albañilerίa y control de la erosión.
Los candidatos deben tener una fuerte ética de trabajo, funcionar bien tanto en equipo como en tareas individuales y manejar pequeñas herramientas eléctricas (tractores, RTV, minicargadoras, etc.). Los técnicos trabajaran en la region de Chicago y el sudeste de Wisconsin, presentándose en Marengo, IL.
- 1 a 2 años de experiencia en construccion, paisajismo y/o jardineria.
- La capacidad física para trabajar horas largas al aire libre en condiciones inclementes (lluvia, calor, humedad, mosquitos, abejas y condiciones mojadas, etc).
- Transporte fiable para llegar a Marengo, IL todos los dias laborales.
- Experiencia en la interpretación de planos de construcción, manejo de machinaria/tractors, y/o licencia de aplicar pesticidios sera un "plus".
Bluestem Ecological Services ofrece salarios competetivos y seguro medico.